Monday, June 18, 2012

Door to Door at The Plateau


Saturday, 16 June, 2012
by Chris

The five Stewarts loaded into the king cab of Mbumwae's Isuzu pickup at 8:45am on Saturday, June 16.* Grayson and I were glad to be able to ride in the front of the truck as we drove for fifteen minutes over the sandy, rocky, rutted path to Seven Fountains church building.  On many of these trips, as we've bounced along, I wonder what the roads are like during the rainy season.  I'm told that many of the villages we've visited are inaccessible.  

When we arrive Mr. Kajolo and Abson Muumbe were there waiting to lead us.  We walked twenty minutes through the bush to The Plateau, a small residential community established by a neighboring farmer for his workers. The plan was to walk from house to house, meeting the residents, asking for permission to speak with them about the things of God, and to invite them to an afternoon gathering for preaching and singing.

We divided into three groups. Grayson, Emma, and Rachel formed a group with Richard Jabinika to work in an open field with the children. Angie went to the right with Abson and a few other men, while I joined Mr. Kajolo, Mr. Muntanga, and Joseph going to the left.

We spent about three hours talking with the people, sharing the Bible and inviting them to return for a gathering at 15 hours (3:00pm). The two groups came back together at about 12:30pm as Mr. Kajolo's group joined Abson's group at the home of a man named Patson. Patson confessed belief in Christ and expressed interest in baptism.

We sent for Richard and the Stewart kids, who had grown a little tired of singing and playing games with nearly fifty children after 3 hours, walked back through the bush to Seven Fountains. Thirteen of us packed into the Isuzu and drove to Namwianga Dam, where Patson was baptized. I was happy for Patson, but I was also a little nervous for him and Joseph who baptized him. We had heard a report of a crocodile eating a dog during a baptism some time ago.



*We've been praying for Marti as she strives to be faithful to our mission here while also finishing writing for her doctoral comps by the 20th. The team decided it would be good and right for her to stay behind today to write. It's going to be tight.

**I'm not sure why it's called The Plateau. We did not climb any hills to get there.

1 comment: