(June 2) Ruhtt and I made the hour and a half trip to Livingstone
today to recover the delayed bags from the airport. All 14 of the checked bags arrived, although
some were a bit worse for wear. As we sorted
through the contents and checked the items off our lists, we discovered that 9
of the bags had been inspected and the quart of paint that Angie wrapped in
quadruple layers of ziplock bags was confiscated before the bags left the USA. We met with Ruhtt in the evening and her
schedule for our weeks of activities only had a couple of surprises, so we are
mostly convinced that everything will go well.
There was a short power outage during evening meal preparation, and I
immediately thought of Mary Beth. In
2010 she pointed out that often the power was off during meal time, but it
reappeared when it was time to watch the World Cup Soccer matches. Interestingly, tonight was Zambia’s
qualifying match for the World Cup. Grayson left
with Ruhtt so he could watch soccer at their house. The rest of us enjoyed a lovely meal and
devotional with Joan and a 6 week old baby from orphan care who was a bit fussy
and just needed a little TLC.
~ Marti
The weather is incredible. I cant believe how beautiful it is. Perfect temperature during the day, wonderfully cool at night excellent for sleeping. Marti had said that the people were friendly but I had no idea how friendly they really would be, everyone greats you with a smile and a polite, “Hello! How are you!” though this is probably the most english most of them know. I absolutely love the culture. At any point I can strike up a conversation about soccer and get into a lively discussion about the pride and joy of these people, the African Champions, the Zambia National Team. Though they lost to rivals Sedan in the 2014 World Cup Qualifiers saturday night the 2nd. As I went to watch a soccer tournament between the basic schools I was welcomed to join a game of juggling and then keep away on the side. I faired well enough and have now been able to enjoy watching quite a few full soccer games. Overall I am overwhelmed by the beauty and grace of the country and its population. I look forward to going into the schools to work with the children and play even more soccer! The babies here are also incredibly adorable! - Grayson
As Chris wrote yesterday, we arrived, but our bags did not.
Finally, after much paperwork and many extra miles, we collected all 14 bags.
Sunday morning devotional at Kasensa House (the Seven Fountains Orphan Care) offered an another opportunity for us to hold the babies.
Chris preached at Siabalumbi and Mr. Mono translated. The church was full, and the count was announced at the end of the service -- 26 men, 48 women, 48 children. Rachel, Emma, and Ruhtt conducted Bible Class for the children. We all loved the singing. We didn't get back to Seven Fountains for lunch until after 2 p.m., so Sunday dinner tasted especially delicious.
One more item to mention is that the internet service here is either very slow or very unfriendly, or both. We purchased an internet connection USB and "talk time", however, the tin roof on the house blocks the reception, so the Stewarts have figured out that if they go outside to the middle of the lawn, they can get a signal. I'm using dial up at the moment thanks to Joan's generosity. We have a very big day planned for tomorrow beginning with at 6:30 a.m. departure, so it is time for bed. Thank you for your comments and your prayers.

How wonderful to hear of your adventures and the work God is doing in your midst!! Our little Florida family is praying for you!
ReplyDelete~Morgan
I love the updates and the photos. Is Gray keeping up with the kids playing soccer or is he getting schooled?
ReplyDeleteJill