2012-06-04
From Emma
Hello all! Although
it has only been about a week, it seems that so much has happened. It’s still
strange to me that Zambia is 7 hours ahead, so when it’s 12:40 for you, it’s
7:40 here. The negative side of this is that our sleeping habits are all out of
whack. We’ve gotten to know 8 of the 9 babies that live here because Abroham
went home today. I love how they all have their different personality quirks,
and characteristics that make them unique. Today we spent our time at
Siabalumbi, at the school there. We taught grade 3 reading techniques Grade 4
we attempted to help with long division (attempted). Also the pre-schoolers and
grade 1, where we talked about colors, numbers, letters, and shapes. This last
group was a joy, very eager to learn, and very interested in the makua (white
people). Overall, everything is different, but also similar. They are more
advanced in technology and there are more white skins than I expected. As Gray
said, the weather is awesome, but the mornings are quite chilly. The food is
incredible. Joan is an excellent cook and every night my stomach feels full to
the brim.
I could attempt
to tell you all about Zambia, but quite honestly it is indescribable. You’d
have to come see for yourself. The view from even 7 Fountains (the orphanage
we’re staying for now) is beautiful, but the view up on Siabalumbi is even more
so. The people are incredible, so welcoming, especially the children.
Gray
is standing over my shoulder, pestering for his laptop back, so I must go.
Thank you for reading! I hope all is going well back home.
Some pics of Rachel and Emma with the babies:
Comparing North American Education and
Zambian Education is like comparing a penguin and an eagle; they are both birds
and that is where the similarity ends. At
first glance, there is often a mixed reaction of WOW! These schools look a lot
better than I expected, and WOW! Every visual aid, every flash card, every
poster is drawn by hand – when do they have time to do that? What the Zambians lack resources they make up
for in innovation. For instance, there
were no math manipulatives for the Grade 4 class, so the teacher asked the
pupils to go outside and gather 100 stones each. She gave the two minutes. At the end of two minutes, students poured
into the classroom with their shirts forming a container for 100 stones. I was amazed at how quickly these children
could count the numbers for their division problem. How would you like to teach or do a division
problem like 2100 ÷ 17 = n with 100 rocks?
Angie’s group of 6 boys was especially bright
and they whizzed through the problem. I
worked with a boy who really struggled, and I longed for something besides
rocks to use as counters. Angie,
Grayson, Emma and Rachel did a fantastic job of encouraging and prompting the
students so each child could succeed on his own.
I think it is safe to say that we favored the
Grade 3 teacher; she teaches Gr. 3 in the morning and Preschool in the
afternoon. She was enthusiastic and
animated and it is obvious that she cares about the children. She was very
receptive to some ideas we introduced for teaching phonics, and it made me feel
very good when she asked if we could come back on Tuesday so she could learn
more.
Can you find the pencil this Grade 1
boy is using to write the word /cat/?
Chris spent the morning with the
Bible teacher and then taught two Bible classes in the afternoon. At the end of the day, the teachers treated
us to sweet potatoes and tea. This
afternoon snack revived us and sustained us so we could enjoy the journey back
to 7-Fountans.
After another wonderful meal, Angie,
Chris and Joan went to the Mbumwae’s for the Bible study they hold each Monday
night for the college students. Grayson,
Emma, Rachel and I washed dishes and made lunches for Tuesday. Early to bed so we can rise early tomorrow
feeling rested and ready for another blessed day.





Great to read your update, Emma! Hug those babies for me.
ReplyDeleteI'm assuming your long skirts are a local custom? They don't seem to be your usual fashion statement.
With love, Aunt Jill
Jonathan says he loves you and he loves babies too! I wish I could be at the school with you all! I've always admired how teachers in schools like that one can make their own manipulatives, and can teach without all the "extras" we have. I love the picture of the kids using rocks to learn math! Miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteIt's so great to hear from the kids as well as you grownups. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Keep up the great posts!
ReplyDeleteBetsy
thanks for the great updates! almost (ok so not nearly even almost but close) feels like i'm there with you holding the beautiful babies and learning all these amazing people have to teach. this has become our nightly ritual - we read the updates then jade writes something to emma. can't wait to have you home again but so glad God has given you this opportunity!
ReplyDeletebeth