Thursday, June 21, 2012

Loving On Babies at Seven Fountains


by Emma

To say we haven't been changed by our time in Zambia would be a lie. From the smiling faces at Siabalumbi, to the warm handshakes of the blind people at Simakakata, we have been welcomed with love. It is for this reason that I am not particularly keen to leave this place. All are happy to greet us by saying "Mwabuka buti!" And and all hold out their hands with gratitude at the gifts we bring.

At the beginning of our trip, we stayed at Seven Fountains orphanage. It was here that we faced no hesitation about the "makua," no curious stares. To my surprise, the aunties left us alone with the babies- on the first day no less! The aunties, patient, kind, compassionate, and joyful, looked genuinely glad to meet us. We were outside- in the spacious courtyard, the babies' playpen. Instantly I bonded with Sibajene. They call her Jene, pronounced Janie. She's a toothless, consistently happy, sweet eight month old., impossible to not befriend. I not only bonded with Jene, but became attached to Abigail. As a sassy almost two year old, Abi's cirrhosis, toddling steps, and silly inconsistencies immediately captivated me.

On Sunday, after church, we walked to the orphanage for one last visit- we had been invited to lunch. During final preparations for lunch, Rachel, Grayson, and I waited patiently in the room outside the nurseries. The only one awake was Cornolius- Gray's little buddy. After peeking consistently into the nursery containing Abi's crib, for maybe ten minutes, I finally saw sweet chocolate brown eyes peeking out at me. With permission, I picked up my Abi, despite her leggings being soaked through (as they wear cloth diapers). She and I very patiently waited our turn as the aunty changed Lumamba. When she had on a dry dress and leggings, we sat out on the ABC mat. Here we practiced saying our favorite word "Emma", "yeah yeah yeah", and also "boop boop boop boop!" while gently tapping each other on the nose.

After lunch, with the dishes washed, and put away, Rachel and I immediately found our way to the other kitchen. Hearing laughter, and baby chatter, we grinned and hurried to join in. Practically sitting under the table, I motioned for Abi to crawl over into my lap. It seemed that not two minutes later, Gray came and impatiently told us to say farewell. Tears welled up in my eyes as I kissed Abi's cheek for the last time. I will probably never see my sweet, independent, crazy toddler again. When I tried to put her down, I could no longer blink them back: Abi did NOT want to be put down. Clinging to my arms, and wrapping her legs around me, she made a desperate exclamation. As I hugged her for the last time, I prayed that God would watch over my baby girl, keep her safe, and hopefully send her back to her family. Then, before leaving, I prayed this same prayer for each of the little one as I kissed their head, sleepy or wide awake, and said my final goodbye. 

Although we are not related by blood, I am now connected to each of these children. I will never forget their smiling faces, as God has used them to make an imprint on my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Emma, beautifully written!
    I cannot even imagine how hard that had to be for you, but know that you have changed their lives just as much as they have changed yours. Sweet blessings for all of you for a lifetime!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,
    My eyes are filled with tears as I read of this wonderful experience that has changed your life forever. I love those babies and I will never have the chance to hold and bond with them.
    I know you will hold them close in your heart and continue to pray for their well being. And who knows you may just have the opportunity to go back some day.

    Grandma Helen

    ReplyDelete