by Chris
After Patson's baptism we returned to
Seven Fountains for a break. The men who were leading us had not
planned to eat any lunch: "We're not working hard, so we don't
really need food," Abson told me. We plump Americans, however,
bit our tongues so that we would not complain about hunger pains.
We had prepared peanut butter
sandwiches, granola bars and a bag of trail mix. I walked around
offering to share our lunch with the men. When I offered the trail
mix, one of the younger men, named Wisdom, was hesitant: "I'll
give it a trial," he said with an accent. I gave him a small
handful and moved on to the rest of the men. By the time I came to
the end of the line he was said with a smile, "Mmmm, I'm ready
to eat some now!"
I suppose it's only fitting that I read this as I'm eating my snack.
ReplyDelete