Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday

Sunday morning we were ready for Shepherd to pick us up for the drive to Nalabumba at 8:00.  He arrived right on Zamtime at 8:30.  After some discussion, we decided to take only one vehicle, which meant that Chris, Grayson, Timmy and Muhammad would ride in the back of the Isuzu.  This vehicle has a topper on the back, but this only manages to keep the dust and wind out.  They loaded mattresses and floor pads in hopes of finding some comfort as Shepherd drove down the road to Kabanga.
I’m not sure I can describe how bad this road is.  This narrow dirt road connects the mining area of Kabanga with the highway that leads from Lusaka to Livingstone.  Big trucks hauling amethyst and maize create washboard conditions that jar the teeth.  Boulders and potholes fill the road, so creative steering is required. This road to Kabanga is to bad, that I like to say, “there is no road to Kabanga”.
Shepherd drove slowly and with expert care and attention, yet the 4 men in the back had suffered much by the time we arrived at Nalabumba on hour later.  The makuas stretched a lot and moaned a little from being rocked and bounced around.  I’m certain this is not an adventure they will enjoy repeating.  We will definitely have to rotate who rides in the back as we travel to this village the next three days.
Bible study was scheduled for 9:30, and we started right on Zamtime at 10:00.  Shepherd taught a great class, and Chris gave another wonderful sermon.  The singing blessed us all, and at the end of the service eight or nine young people from Sunday school stood up and quoted the individual  scriptures they had memorized.  It was very encouraging.
The best part of worship for me was the collection.  After the plates had been passed around and the total announced, as is the custom here, a young boy about 8 or 9 came to the front carrying this large white sack.  I leaned forward and whispered to Angie, “I think it is a chicken”.  It wasn’t a chicken; it was a cabbage.  It humbles me each and every time a person contributes the fruit of their labor.  I am reminded that God accepts whatever we have to offer when it is given with a cheerful heart.  I would love to post a photo, but the internet is not cooperating.
I've also wanted to includ a picture of the babies from Kasensa on a Saturday afternoon stroll.  The aunties had put the 4 older ones in a wagon with high sides and were pulling them along the road between Kasensa and the church building.  It was a precious sight.  We moved from 7-Fountains to the Mbumwae home on Sunday afternoon, and I think we will all miss the babies.
Sunday evening we attended church services at Namwianga Mission where as many as 700 students gather.  The singing defies description.  At the end of the service, three different groups presented music, and each chorus astounded us.  What a joyous blessing. 

Thank you so much for writing.   We can feel your prayers.  ~ Marti

2 comments:

  1. What a ride...can't wait to hear what the rest of the team thought about the 'washboard' road to say nothing of the dirt. Loved the contribution of the cabbage. Someone ate good that night.
    I hope the internet lets you post some more pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like Zamtime. I could get used to that. :)

    ReplyDelete